Mongolian boy dies of bubonic plague – Xinhua | English.news.cn – Xinhua

Last Updated on July 13, 2020 by

ULAN BATOR, July 13 (Xinhua) — A 15-year-old boy has died of bubonic plague in the western Mongolian province of Govi-Altai, the country’s health ministry said Monday.

Preliminary laboratory testing results revealed he was diagnosed with the bubonic plague, Dorj Narangerel, head of public relations and surveillance department at the ministry, told a press conference.

The official result of the test is expected to be released in the coming few days.

The deceased was found to have eaten marmot meat with his two friends three days before his death, Narangerel said.

His two friends and 15 others who had contact with them have been isolated and treated at local hospitals, the official said, warning citizens not to eat marmot meat.

The bubonic plague is a bacterial disease spread by fleas living on wild rodents such as marmots. The disease can kill an adult in less than 24 hours if not treated in time, according to the World Health Organization. Enditem

Leave a Comment

×

Table of Contents