No new coronavirus deaths are reported in Wales for the second day in a row – Wales Online

Last Updated on July 13, 2020 by

No new coronavirus deaths have been reported in Wales for the second day in a row.

Public Health Wales (PHW) announced on Monday, July 13 that there were zero deaths reported in people with lab-confirmed Covid-19, keeping the overall death toll at 1,541.

It is the fourth day that there have been no new confirmed deaths in the previous 24 hours, following the same announcement by PHW on Monday, Friday and Sunday of last week.

The true death toll where the virus was mentioned on a death certificate was 2,438 by June 26, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

In addition, the number of lab-confirmed positive cases of coronavirus in Wales has increased by 25 to bring the total to 17,045.

More than half of Wales’ new cases each day are now being diagnosed through home tests sent out by Lighthouse Labs in England and reported separately to the NHS Wales figures.

Today, there were 11 new cases diagnosed in hospitals and other care settings tested through NHS Wales and 14 new cases from non-NHS labs.

Localised data is only available for NHS Wales tests results and show that Wrexham had three new cases, Blaenau Gwent two and Monmouthshire, Newport, Anglesey, Conwy, the Vale of Glamorgan and Powys one. All other local authorities had no new cases.

Even though testing capacity stands at 15,000 each day in Wales, just 2,943 tests were carried out on Sunday, July 12.

You can follow live updates on the coronavirus pandemic here.

New coronavirus cases today (diagnosed in hospitals and other care settings tested through NHS Wales)

Cumulative number of deaths reported in Wales

The latest figures were released following a press conference with First Minister Mark Drakeford who announced that everyone in Wales will have to wear face coverings when using public transport from Monday, July 27.

They are already required on public transport in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

However, as the prevalence of coronavirus is described as “low”, the Welsh Government has stopped short of making masks mandatory in all public spaces, including shops.

Mr Drakeford said: “For the sake of simplicity and consistency, as well as being part of our plan to help reduce the risk of transmission while on public transport where it is not always possible to maintain a two-metre physical distance, it will become mandatory for people to wear a three-layer face covering while travelling. This includes taxis.”

He added that there is a two-week delay in making face masks mandatory on public transport in Wales so there is time to work out the details, as well as exceptions.

The decision on face coverings was made on the same day that many lockdown restrictions were lifted.

Pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants are all now allowed to open outdoors in Wales, while hairdressers, barbers and mobile hairdressers can welcome customers again.

In addition, organised sports and activities can now resume outdoors, and places of worship are allowed to resume indoor services.

First Minister Mark Drakeford
(Image: WalesOnline/Rob Browne)

Meanwhile, the First Minister added that almost 300,000 coronavirus tests have been carried out in Wales to date, with 17,000 being positive.

“The percentage of people testing positive continues to reduce,” he said.

“Always keep your distance from others. Wash your hands frequently. Only meet people from one other household – or extended household – outdoors and work from home wherever possible.”

Mr Drakeford also confirmed that four households can now meet one another outdoors – a provision that is already more generous than other parts of the UK.

He explained that this can take place when two households joined into one extended household meet another two households joined into an extended household.

Leave a Comment

×

Table of Contents